I have my Masters in Library Science. I am currently interning at my local library and actively seeking a library job.
Yet I am guilty of buying books more than using my library. I didn’t grow up going to the library. Books were always a huge part of my childhood, but I never went to storytime or participated in any programming. I probably only checked out books like once or twice before entering college. I do use the library way more than I used to, but I still buy way too many books. I can’t help it though! Buying from amazon is just too easy!!
Maybe I’m part of the reason there is that nasty rumor going around that libraries are useless. Please. Spend a day in any library, let alone a library in a city like Baltimore, and you’ll quickly change your tune about how useful libraries are.
So I’m joining the I Love Libraries Reading Challenge, hosted by Bea’s Book Nook.
- Put a sign up post on your blog and link it below.
- If you don’t have a blog, make a dedicated goodreads shelf (or LibraryThing), make sure it’s public, and link it below.
- Any reading material that can be checked out of your library counts – print books, audio books, digital books, magazines, etc.
- As part of your sign up post, briefly write why you like using your library – free books, internet access, a quiet place to work, whatever draws you to the library. If you don’t have a blog platform, post it in the comments below.
- Write a review – 2 sentences or an essay, whatever works for you, but there is a minimum of 2 sentences. Not sure what to write? How about something like, “The characters were a delight but the story was slow and confusing. It was disappointing.”
- There will be a post each month where you can link your reviews. Each linky will run for the calendar year.
- Pick a level from the list below. You can move up as needed but you can’t move down.
- Books may overlap with other reading challenges.
- board book – 3
- picture book – 6
- early reader – 9
- chapter book – 12
- middle grades – 18
- Young adult – 24
- adult – 36
- just insert IV – 50
I’m going for the Young Adult level, which is 24 books. I figure that with the insane amount of challenges I have signed up for, at least 24 of those books will be able to come from the library. It will also help save me money!
So if you love your library come join! There’s no better way to support your local library!